Juvenile CrimesOver 20 Years Fighting Injustice
Long Beach Juvenile Criminal Attorney
Helping Minors Protect Their Legal Rights & Future
When a young person runs afoul of the law, it is a serious matter as his or her entire future could be affected. We understand how frightening an arrest can be for a child and how great the impact is on the entire family. If your child has been charged with a juvenile crime, you need the help of an experienced Long Beach juvenile criminal attorney.
Is your child facing criminal charges? Call today to speak with our Long Beach juvenile criminal lawyer about your options.
Juvenile Defense in California
At West Coast Defense, our criminal defense law firm is small enough to be responsive to the needs of each young client we represent. With extensive experience both as a prosecutor and as a defense attorney, we bring a unique perspective to creating a defense strategy which particularly fits our client's circumstances.
In California, juveniles (under the age of 18) have a separate court system from adults that operates differently. For example, there is no jury trial. Juvenile courts have the goal of rehabilitating offenders into more constructive behavior. A Long Beach juvenile criminal attorney must be familiar with this court system in order to effectively defend a child.
The children who are seen in these courts can be separated into categories:
- Children who need to be cared for because they have been abused or abandoned
- Children who committed an act that would not be wrong if committed by an adult
- Children who have committed an act that would be considered a criminal act if committed by an adult
- Children 14 years of age or older who have committed a serious crime
This last category may first face a fitness hearing to determine if the he or she should be tried as an adult or be dealt with in the juvenile system. We're dedicated to protecting the rights of any child accused of a crime.
When Are Juveniles Prosecuted as Adults?
A Prosecutor will usually insist that the juvenile's offense is so serious that he or she should be prosecuted as an adult. Due to our decades of expertise and success as former prosecutors, we are particularly qualified to face prosecutors in fitness hearings and represent juveniles charged with crimes. Since the focus of juvenile court is rehabilitation of the youthful offender, of course it is best for a young person's future if the matter is addressed as a juvenile offense. Call West Coast Defense if you have questions. An experienced Long Beach juvenile criminal lawyer will meet with you to answer your questions and give you and your child sound advice.
- DRUG CHARGES DISMISSED Arrested for a Felony possession
- CASE DISMISSED Arrested for Domestic Violence
- Case was dropped Arrested for Domestic Violence
- CASE DISMISSED Accused of Child Molestation
- DISMISSED Charged with Petty Theft
- DISMISSED Charged with Reckless Driving
- Case Dismissed Hit and Run
- Charges Dismissed Gun at Airport
- Case Dismissed Hit and run
- ALL FELONY CHARGES WERE DISMISSED Charged with Carrying a Concealed Weapon